Sunday, September 28, 2014

Culpable. Guilty. Culpable. Guilty. Culpable. Guilty.

Operation Streamline

Currently, I am getting trained to lead educational trips with BorderLinks.  I am fortunate to get to do hands-on work that introduces me to different parts of the immigration system.  Last week, I went to the Tucson courthouse with my coworkers to observe Operation Streamline.

Before Operation Streamline (OS), undocumented immigrants apprehended by Border Patrol were process and then quickly deported back to their home countries.   Many migrants would try to cross multiple times.  In order to deter multiple entries and increase Border Control morale, the Arizona government implemented Operation Streamline and criminalized illegal immigration.  Individuals who are tried under Operation Streamline receive harsher punishments as they are tried in a criminal court, instead of an immigration court.   Almost all migrants are encouraged to plead guilty to the charge of illegal entry and accept up to six months in prison before deportation.

Every week day, at 1:30 pm 70 immigrants are processed through Operation Streamline.


Wednesday, September 24th, 1:35 pm, 98 degrees outside

I sat on a hard wooden pew.  To my left sat about 20 male public defenders and lawyers in crisp suites.  In front and above me sat a judge at a large hardwood desk.  To my left sat about 40 immigrants, waiting to be convicted.  Most were male and all were from Mexico, Honduras, or Guatemala.  They wore casual clothes that were caked in dirt from their recent border crossing.  Each migrant was shackled at the wrists and feet and wore a chain around their waist.


My courtroom looked much like this.  I sat in the top left corner.  Most of the immigrants were on the right, against the wall.
Source: stopstreamline.org


Confined by their chains, they shuffled and limped as walked to the front of the room and answered the judge's questions.  Each detainee wore earbuds that translated English, the dominant language of the court, into Spanish, their native language.

The public defenders stood next to the individuals they represented, towering over them as most of the immigrants were short with small bone structures.  Since all belts were taken away from the detainees (for safety reasons), several of men's pants were sagging low on their waste.  One man's pants were falling off his behind, exposing my lime green underwear.  How humiliating.


Shackles.  Chains. Constrained movement.  A language you do not understand.  Exposed underwear.  Imprisonment. 

What does dehumanization look like?


The judge asked the same four questions to each person.

"Are you a citizen of (country that is not the United States)?"

"Did you cross the border on or around (fill in date) in or around (fill in border town)?"

"Did you cross using a legal port of entry?"

"Are you guilty of illegally entering the United States?"

               "Culpable."
                    - migrant

               "Guilty."  
                     - translator

After answering these four questions, each migrant was shuffled to a holding facility, where they would wait before going to prison.  As they walked by my pew, almost every person looked me in the eye.  I did not know how to react.  Should I smile at them?  Should I nod my head to recognize their humanity?  Should I look away?  Should I stare back blankly?

This assembly line of prosecutions was only stopped once by one male who took the stage to explain why he crossed the border.  In broken English he said,


"I ask for mercy.  I am sorry, but I crossed for love.  I have a daughter here.  You have to understand, I crossed for love."

As, is customary, the judge responded by saying, "Thank you. We appreciate your comments" as he waved them on.


This sketch is similar to what I observed in court.
Source: endstreamline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment